Pepperoni Stuffed Chicken is one of those recipes that is great to have in your weeknight rotation because it is so versatile. Once you get the method of the recipe down (which only takes 10 minutes to prep by the way!) you can mix up the stuffing ingredients and feel like you’re eating a completely different meal each time.
The key to making Pepperoni Stuffed Chicken is using thin sliced chicken breast. Thin chicken will be easier to roll and hold more stuffing. It will also cook faster and more evenly. If you hate slicing a thick chicken breast horizontally I have a tool to make your life easier – the Close & Cut from Pampered Chef. Stick the chicken in, close the lid, slice and you will have perfectly portioned thin sliced chicken every time. You’re welcome.
About the Ingredients
Chicken Breast – make sure they are sliced thin. This will be the key to rolling them and getting as much stuffing inside as possible.
Shredded Mozzarella – 1 cup should be plenty but stuff it how you like it.
Pepperoni – I use about 6-7 slices per chicken breast.
Egg wash – 1 egg whisked with 2 tablespoons of water in a shallow dish. This will help the bread crumbs stick.
Breadcrumbs – for coating the outside of the chicken rolls. Spray them with cooking spray to get that beautiful golden color.
How to Make Pepperoni Stuffed Chicken
Begin by drying the chicken breast with a paper towel because too much liquid will make your stuffing soggy, runny and ooze out of your rolls. Lay a chicken breast flat on a work surface. Sprinkle some mozzarella over the top and then layer on the pepperoni. Now tightly roll the chicken using your fingers to hold the stuffing in place. Place the chicken roll seam side down and repeat this with all of your chicken.
Make an egg was in a shallow pan by whisking together one egg and 2 tablespoons of water. This will be the glue that holds the breading on. Place the bread crumbs in a separate shallow dish. One chicken roll at a time, coat the exterior in egg was and then roll it in breadcrumbs until completely coated. Place the chicken roll on a wire rack set on top of a baking pan. Repeat these steps with each chicken roll.
Spray the chicken rolls with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake them at 400 degrees or until the chicken reaches 165 degrees internal temperature.
Recipe Substitutions & Variations
This pepperoni stuffed chicken recipe is incredibly versatile. You can stuff the chicken with any cheese, meat or vegetable combination you like. Some things to keep in mind when changing up the stuffing are:
- Don’t use too many ingredients because overstuffing will prevent the chicken from rolling nicely.
- Use ingredients that compliment each other. A strong flavor like gorgonzola pairs well with a mild flavor like spinach.
- If you’re using ingredients with a lot of moisture try to get some of the water out first. If you’re using spinach for example, rather than packing in fresh spinach that will release water while baking opt for frozen spinach that is defrosted and squeezed dry.
FAQ’s & Recipe Tips
These stuffed chicken rolls are thick and would take quite a while to reheat all the way through and chicken tends to dry out when it is baked a second time. To prepare them in advance: stuff and roll the chicken according to the recipe without baking them. Store them covered in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
Use a meat thermometer inserted into the center of the chicken. Be sure to go through the roll to the second layer of chicken. The thermometer should read 165 degrees or more. The exterior of the chicken roll should be golden and the stuffing should be bubbling and starting to ooze out.
Serve with a side of pasta and a vegetable such as rotini with peas seasoned with olive oil, salt, pepper and a little parmesan cheese.
The Recipe for Pepperoni Stuffed Chicken
The recipe is attached below for easy downloading and printing. If you test it out be sure to leave a note in the comments below. I’d love to hear what you thought and if you tried a different stuffing combination. Enjoy!
Pepperoni Stuffed Chicken
- 5 thin sliced chicken breasts
- 2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 oz pepperoni slices
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Lay a chicken breast flat and sprinkle ? of the mozzarella on top. Cover the cheese with a layer of pepperoni. Tightly roll the chicken into itself and place seam side down. Repeat with each chicken breast.5 thin sliced chicken breasts, 2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, 3 oz pepperoni slices
- Make an egg wash in a shallow dish by whisking one egg with 2 tablespoons of water. In a separate shallow dish, place the bread crumbs. Carefully roll each chicken roll in the egg wash and then the breadcrumbs being careful to hold the stuffing inside. When completely coated, place the chicken roll on a wire rack set on top of a baking sheet. Repeat with each chicken roll.1 egg, 2 tbsp water, 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- Season the chicken rolls with salt and pepper. Spray the chicken rolls with cooking spray.salt and pepper, cooking spray
- Place the chicken, and baking sheet, in the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165° internal temperature.