Despite being a BIG fan of a good Taco Tuesday dinner, I don’t want to eat tacos weekly. I’ve tried lots of variations such as Turkey Taco Bake and Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole and now it’s time to add a new favorite to the line up – Ground Turkey Enchiladas.
These ground turkey enchiladas are ridiculously easy to make with only 7 ingredients. So easy in fact, that after you make them once you won’t need a recipe because you simply combine the ingredients and bake until melted and bubbly.
About the Ingredients
Ground Turkey – 1 pound
Onion – 1 onion, diced.
Black beans – 1 can, rinsed and drained.
Diced green chiles – not to worry, they aren’t to spicy for kiddos. I use Old El Paso Mild Chopped Green Chiles and no one mentions spicy at all.
Enchilada sauce – 2 cups of a really flavorful sauce. Be sure to check the label for the heat level because some of them can be pretty spicy.
Flour tortillas – these come in a variety of sizes. For this recipe the 8 inch size tortilla’s, such as these from Mission, work great.
Cheddar Cheese – shredded cheddar is a staple pantry item for me but if you have Mexican blend or Monterey Jack cheese those are great too.
How to Make Ground Turkey Enchiladas
This recipe really couldn’t be simpler. Start by sautéing the ground turkey and diced onion together until the meat is cooked through and the onions are softened. Season with a little bit of salt and then add the drained black beans, chiles and a little bit of enchilada sauce. Mix everything together and let it simmer for about 2 minutes just to get everything warmed up. Then remove the pan from the heat.
Lay out one tortilla and scoop about 1/3 cup of the mixture onto it. Roll it up tightly and place it, seem side down, into a 9×13 baking dish. Repeat this for the remaining tortilla’s or until you run out of filling.
Pour the sauce over the entire top of the enchiladas. Using the back of a spoon or a basting brush spread the sauce around evenly, covering as much as possible. Now sprinkle on the cheese and bake under the broiler until the cheese melts and begins to brown.
Garnish is with chopped cilantro and serve with any of your favorite taco toppings – sour cream, avocado, jalapeños, and diced tomatoes for me!
Recipe Substitutions & Variations
Enchiladas can be made with lots of different types of protein. For something a little different try:
- Ground beef
- Pulled pork
- Sliced steak
Adjust the filling for these enchiladas any way you like! Not a fan of beans? Leave them out. Love refried beans? Try spreading some on the inside of each tortilla before stuffing it. Need some heat? Substitute the diced chiles with jalapeños.
FAQ’s and Recipe Tips
Yes – prepare the enchiladas all the way, including baking them. Let cool, cover and refrigerate in the baking dish. Remove the dish from the refrigerator about 30 minutes prior to reheating to let the enchiladas start to come to room temperature. Then cover with foil and bake at 375°F for 25 minutes or until warm all the way through.
Serve Spanish rice, corn on the Cobb and/or salad.
Yes – these ground turkey enchiladas make a great freezer meal. Prepare the dish entirely but don’t bake it. Cover the tray with plastic wrap and then foil and put it in the freezer. When you’re ready, defrost the tray in the refrigerator overnight. Remove the dish from the refrigerator about 30 minutes prior to reheating to let the enchiladas start to come to room temperature. Then remove the plastic wrap and recover with foil only. Bake at 375°F for 25 minutes or until warm all the way through. Then remove the foil and bake another 10 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted and bubbly.
The Recipe for Ground Turkey Enchiladas
The recipe is attached below for easy downloading and printing. If you test it out be sure to leave a note in the comments below. I’d love to hear what you thought and if you have a favorite go-to enchilada sauce you use. Enjoy!
Ground Turkey Enchiladas
- 1 lb ground Turkey meat
- 1 onion diced
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 4.5 oz diced green chiles
- 16 oz enchilada sauce
- 8 flour tortillas taco size, about 8 inches
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat sauté the turkey and onion together. Cook until the turkey is cooked through and the onions are soft, about 6 minutes.1 lb ground Turkey meat, 1 onion
- Add the beans, diced chiles and ½ cup of enchilada sauce to the pan. Continue cooking for another 2 minutes to heat everything through. Remove the pan from the heat.1 can black beans, 4.5 oz diced green chiles, 16 oz enchilada sauce
- Place a spoonful of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Spread it around to coat the bottom of the dish.16 oz enchilada sauce
- Scoop about 1/3 cup of meat mixture onto a tortilla and roll it up tight. Place rolled enchilada in the baking dish, seem side down. Repeat for remaining 8 tortillas.8 flour tortillas
- Pour remainder of the enchilada sauce over the dish. Using the back of a spoon or basting brush, spread the sauce around evenly.16 oz enchilada sauce
- Sprinkle on cheddar cheese.1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling.