Crack corn dip, also known as Mexican corn dip, is perfect for tailgates or as a party appetizer. The sweet and smoky flavors are perfection.
Everything you need to know to make Crack Corn Dip
- My Recommendations
- About the Ingredients
- How to Make Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Make Ahead Instructions
- Recipe Tips
- Frequently Asked Questions
- The Recipe
- Similar Recipes You Might Like
Is there any better food combination than salty and sweet? Think about a crunchy salty potato chip and a creamy sweet dip in one bite. This is what appetizer wishes are made of. Crack Corn Dip is the sweet cream dip your chip needs. And if flavor and texture combinations aren’t enough to peak your interest, this dip is also served hot. Appetizer dips just don’t get better than this recipe.
Crack corn dip is also known as Mexican corn dip. It’s a corn dip with cream cheese base loaded with sautéed fresh veggies and lots of melty cheese. The sweetness of the dip is then balanced out by seasoning it with smoky chili powder and paprika.
Let’s get one thing out of the way before we dive into the details of the recipe – Crack Corn Dip is not healthy. It is however addictive. You’ll need more than just a few bites so you might as well go ahead and put out the whole bag of chips for dipping.
About the Ingredients
Vegetables – Onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, and canned corn. Don’t let the jalapeño scare you if you’re not a fan of spicy food. Just remove the seeds and inside of the pepper and use the green flesh. Even the kids won’t taste any heat but that mild jalapeño flavor adds a nice balance.
Cream cheese and sour cream – The base of the dip. Leave the cream cheese at room temperature for an hour to let it soften a little. This will make the dip much easier to mix up.
Colby Jack cheese – Half of the cheese will get mixed in and melted into the dip. The other half will get melted on top.
Seasonings – Chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
Garnish – Scallions or chives.
How to Make Crack Corn Dip
Sauté the Vegetables
Heat a small amount of olive oil in a large skillet and sauté the onion and peppers. You want them to be softened just enough to take the edge off but not mushy. About 5 minutes should be plenty. While the veggies cook, drain the canned corn in a colander.
Combine the Dip
Add the cooked vegetables, drained corn and remaining ingredients to a mixing bowl and combine everything well.
Bake the Corn Dip
Transfer the dip to a ceramic baking dish and top it off with the remaining cheese. Bake at 400°F for about 10 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Garnish the dip with chopped green onions and serve hot with chips.
Recipe Tips for Crack Corn Dip
This recipe is extremely simple but if you want to be sure to get it just right, here are some tips:
- Drain the corn well – Canned corn comes packed in water. No one likes watery dip so be sure to use a colander and drain as much water from the corn as possible.
- Sturdy chips – Crack corn dip is dense so serve it with a chip that won’t easily break when dipping into it. Instead of potato chips or tortilla chips, Fritos make for a sturdy and delicious option for dipping crack corn dip. You could also use little baguette toasts.
- Serve hot – The sour cream and cream cheese combination is thick. Warming the dip loosens it up and makes the texture smoother and creamier.
- Spice it up – this dip is on the sweeter side of the flavor spectrum and the seasonings compliment a little heat so well. If you’re a spicy lover you can kick up the heat by leaving the seeds of the jalapeño in when chopping.
Frequently Asked Questions
Crack dip is a sour cream and cream cheese base with sweet corn and bell pepper. Season it with onion, garlic, chili powder, and paprika and finish it off with lots of melty colby jack cheese.
Mexican corn dip and crack dip are different names for the same dish. Mexican corn dip is a sour cream and cream cheese base with sweet corn and bell pepper. Season it with onion, garlic, chili powder, and paprike and finish it off with lots of melty cobly jack cheese.
The Recipe for Crack Corn Dip
The recipe is attached below for easy downloading and printing. If you test it out be sure to leave a note in the comments below. I’d love to hear what you thought and on what occasion you served your dip. Enjoy!
Crack Corn Dip
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 jalapeño seeds removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cans whole kernel sweet corn drained
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 16 oz shredded Colby jack cheese divided
- chopped scallions or chives for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Chop 1 red bell pepper, 1/2 yellow onion, and 1 jalapeño (seeds removed.)
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pan. Add the chopped vegetables and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the drained 2 cans whole kernel sweet corn and seasonings (1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp paprika, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper) to the pan and cook another 1-2 minutes. Then remove the pan from the heat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cooked vegetable mixture, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup sour cream, 8 oz cream cheese and half of the 16 oz shredded Colby jack cheese.
- Transfer the dip to a small ceramic baking dish. Top with the remaining half of the 16 oz shredded Colby jack cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Garnish the top of the dip with chopped scallions or chives and serve hot.